Friday 26 March 2010

Lamb to Slaughter by Peta

“What do you think I should do? If I spill the beans he’ll know it’s me for sure.” Julie stood with her back hard against the office door to ensure privacy. She looked at Patrice expectantly, hopefully her colleague would solve her problem with her usual thoughtful advice.

Patrice responded in a matter of fact tone. “Well what choice do you have? You can’t let him get away with it. It probably isn’t the first time this has happened and if you don’t blow the whistle it may not be the last.”

Julie grimaced. It was not the answer she wanted.

“Maybe I should confront him. There could be a simple explanation for why he transferred the money out of that account.”

“Don’t be stupid.” Patrice scowled. “If it was kosher he would have followed procedure. And the last thing you should do is confront him. You don’t know what he is capable of.”

“You don’t think he’s dangerous?”

“Who knows what he’s caught up in or who he’s involved with.” Patrice crossed her arms across her chest and cocked her head in a questioning manner.

“But he’s so nice, Patrice. I can’t believe he would hurt me.”

“That’s why mass murders get away with murder again and again.”

“Don’t be so daft. He’s not like that.” Julie said defensively.

“Yesterday you would have said he’d be the last person to steal money from our clients. And hey presto!” Patrice looked at her watch, showing her impatience.

“Shit, what am I going to do?” Julie wrung her hands nervously.

“There’s really only one thing you can do and if you don’t do it I will. Look I have to go before Thompson sends out a search party. You need to see the Big Kahuna ASAP.”

Julie moved away from the door. As Patrice reached for the handle, a loud knock startled them both. Patrice opened the door and greeted the boss’s PA.

“Hi Maude, how’s tricks? Gotta go. See you after work for a bevie?” Patrice asked.

“Sure that’d be great. I’ll meet you in the foyer at 5.30. Julie, Michael would like to see you in his office immediately.”

Julie walked solemnly to Michael’s office, head bowed, feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders. They called him the Big Kahuna, partially because he was the top dog but also because of his size. He was a very big unit, intimidatingly so.

Julie knocked softly on the door then entered as instructed to do so by the strong, confident male voice on the other side. She was alarmed to see her immediate boss, Josh Mapleson sitting by the window staring down the 42 stories to the buzzing metropolis below.

“Ah, Julie thank you for coming, won’t you sit down.” Big Kahuna pointed to an empty seat. “Josh here tells me we have a problem.”

“Oh I am so glad it is out in the open, I have been worried sick about it. I was on my way to see you before I saw Maude.”

“Really? Well I am surprised. In the circumstances I might have thought you’d be long gone. Notwithstanding, you understand you cannot stay here at Parkers and the Police must be informed. It is a very serious matter. In fact the Police will be here shortly. But Julie I would like to know why?”

Michael stood before her staring down into her face from his great height. Josh continued to look out the window as if not even listening to the dialogue behind him.

“Sorry, I’m confused. What are you talking about?” Julie’s voice quivered.

“Clearly you know, Julie. You said you were on your way here to tell me about the money you took from the Heyton Trust Account.”

At that point Josh turned and smiled, a nasty, smug smile and all at once Julie understood.

2 comments:

Eve Grzybowski said...

Eve says,

Great job of fulfilling the prompt about the boss getting sprung for illegal activity.

You did an artful job of turning it around so Julie gets bitten instead of the boss.

The dialogue was authentic for office workers, although I haven't heard of a "bevie' before. Come to think of it I haven't heard of a person being described as a "unit", either.

You covered a lot in a short space but the writing is nevertheless completely clear. I liked the way I could see your characters through your description of body language and actions.

Constructive feedback: Josh could have been introduced a little earlier for more impact.

Scriveners said...

Kerry says:
Office worker decides to spill the beans on her boss who she suspects of cooking the books but the sneaky boss turns the tables on her when she takes her suspicions to the big chief.

I liked the conversational style of your story Peta. You made good use of dialogue to unwrap the details of the plot.

I loved the twist at the end of the story where Julie is outwitted by her boss. Nicely done.