Friday 15 January 2010

Tapping into the universe (Kerry)

You wake up one day with an unusual super power that seems pretty worthless—until you are caught in a situation that requires that specific "talent."

Tapping in to the universe

The incessant ringing in my ears was becoming unbearable. I struggled, twisted this way and that. I wanted to switch it off, turn it down. But the sound was coming from inside my head. There was nothing I could do. I had suffered from tinnitus for years and knew there was nothing I could do about it but this was beyond anything I had previously experienced. Then suddenly it stopped.

I felt the tension melt from my body. My limbs began to feel heavy. I experienced a sweet release from anxiety. But, best of all, my head was clear. It took several seconds in this blissful state of torpor before I realised that another sensation had replaced the distressing high-pitched ringing. I could describe it as a murmur but it was more like a soft low babble. Like hearing a crowd through a thick stone wall, nothing distinct but distinctly something.

The king wave had swept me off the rocks. I recalled the shock of being hurled out of control onto the sand, the pummelling as I tumbled in the gritty foam, the terror of not catching breath, the fear of being thrown against the rocks that I knew were strewn all around this part of the bay. Perhaps I lost consciousness. I don’t remember.

I became conscious then of pain. Intense pain flooding me, threatening to drown out that sweet background babble. With the pain came a clearer understanding of my situation. My shoulders were wedged between two rocks. My body was washed by the sea each time a wave came in. Only my head was clear of the water but I knew that the tide was rising.

And I didn’t panic.

I felt as though my mind was being washed by the silvery babble, cleansed of distressing thoughts, bathed in serenity. The more I became conscious of the babble the less I experienced any physical pain. However I was also aware of a curious tickling sensation in my feet and legs. I wondered briefly if my legs were paralysed and this was my last phantom feeling. I glanced down to make sure my legs were there. And then I saw them.

Hundreds of tiny shining fish flashed around my legs. I had the impression they were nudging me. Their behaviour struck me not as hostile but as urgent. I somehow knew they were sympathetic, on my side, wanting to help me. Again I became conscious of the babble. The two were related, the fish and the babble. I raised my leg off the sand a little to see their reaction. They swarmed underneath and I could feel them again nudging my thigh. They were acting as a single entity, perfectly coordinated in their intention and behaviour.

Once more I felt the tension drain from my body. I was relaxed. As the waves flowed over me I was aware of a gentle massaging over my chest and back. My shoulders relaxed. The sea was swarming with the tiny fish. Gently, gradually, as the water rose, they dislodged me from my rock trap.

I floated free. My mind was clear.

5 comments:

sue moffitt said...

Hi Kerry
Well it's great to be back in the Scrivening world with the prompts. It seems months ago that we last prompted.
this piece is wonderfully inspiring. It is a powerful story and well crafted. there are many bits that I loved but in particular "like hearing a crowd through a thick stone wall".
You have painted a very vivid picture of someone drowning. It is eerie, thrilling, exciting, sad and yet calm. How wonderful to think of all those tiny fish appearing like a little miracle. Well done. sue

Rick said...

Kerry,

This is a day for imaginative super powers. I thought the story was well told, but maybe a bit off the prompt. The protagonist seems instantly delighted with the change in circumstances. A lifetime of suffering from tinnitus goes away in a flash nad it's replaced with a clear head and a soft, murmuring babble. Hardly worthless. And then it gets better. All of a sudden he/she is drowning and in communication with a school of fish that save his life. Very well told and creative.

I think what the story needs is a bit of time for the hero to get in touch with the super power and dismiss it as a bit worthless. Maybe the tinnitus was too much of a distraction from that. Instead he might have found himself talking to a clam or something and being a bit put out by it before being swept off the rock.

Unknown said...

The story is a compelling mix of real and imagined, leaving us with the big question of whether or not you imagined the whole superpower, and behind that, whether or not you really survived the experience. The whole story had a fantastic dream-like quality; it occurs for me more in images than in words.

In particular, your description of the little fish, "acting as a single entity, perfectly coordinated in their intention and behaviour" charmed me.

Thank you for a great read.

Eve Grzybowski said...

I loved your piece, Kerry. Whether you wandered off the prompt or not didn't matter a skerrick to me because I was completely in thrall of the atmosphere you set up, and in a potentially death or life situation.

Bravo!

Scriveners said...

Jenny says:

I liked the ambiguity in this - it could be read as a near-death or even death experience, or as a literal "saved by the fish" superpower experience.

The descriptions were very well done, the narrative moved seamlessly back and forth through time, and the theme was rich with subconscious imagery.

I think the first paragraph is awkward, and I would start with the second para, just adding a reference to a lifetime of tinnitus after "distressing high-pitched ringing".

Embedding the entire story in one moment of time, with flashbacks and inward journeys, would make it a tighter read.

The title and the maybe-death theme give this story a very deep quality that I really like.