Saturday 16 January 2010

The magician - Sue

Freda cavorts around the tiny bedroom with her i-pod hanging out of her left ear. She is still in her pink flannelette pyjamas as her hair whip lashes around her face and her bare feet spring effortlessly from the carpet. The white net curtains billow slightly in the wind and the early morning sun sends a shaft of brilliant light onto her dance floor.

She slips, her foot rolling over an overturned cup, and lands bum first on the floor. But her bum doesn’t stay on the floor. It bounces off the red carpet and hovers just a few feet from floor before bouncing again, and then again. Her body is behaving like she’s on a trampoline, not a hard bedroom floor.

“I can bounce? What? How odd!” the questions hover unanswered.

She clambers up onto the bed and jumps onto the floor. The same thing happens, her feet bounce off the floor, pause a while in mid air and then bounce another couple of times before she, or they, stand still.

Her curious young mind doesn’t really argue with what’s happening. She accepts that she has developed a weird super power that allows her to bounce around the town. She heads for the stairs and breakfast, being careful not to jump and bounce.

Half an hour later she’s on the school bus, sitting next to Claire. The secret bouncing burbles irresistibly out in a fit of giggles.

“Guess Claire, go on, guess what happened to me this morning” and without pausing for breath

“I bounced. I bounced when I fell on the floor and I bounced when I jumped off the bed.”

“You what? You bounced? Only balls bounce you idiot”

Freda hesitated.

“I swear I did”

“OK, OK, but why?” and Claire slips her arm around her best friend’s shoulders.

“Now that is the million dollar question?”

“I know” whispered Claire. “Let’s just wait and see what happens. It will be our secret.”


Nothing happens all day. Freda and Claire keep glancing sneakily at each other, trying not to laugh. Claire goes home with Freda, pretending that they are going to do their homework together. Instead they sit upstairs in Freda’s bedroom and wait and watch and listen.

“Shall I try now?” says Freda

“No, I think you should wait until you need to bounce somewhere. Maybe it’s important”

There’s a pathetic whimper outside the bedroom window. The girls look at each other. It comes again, but much much louder. It sounds more like the roar of a lion. They peer through the curtains, not sure what to expect.

There, balanced on the tiniest of branches, right at the end where it’s thin and brittle, is Mischief the Siamese. But he has something in his paws.

“It’s Leo, my stuffed lion. How mean. Oh Leo” cries Freda.

“Well you can’t get up that tree, it’s miles too tiny. But you know what, you can bounce up there” says Claire. “Off you go, let me see you”

“I’ve got to rescue Leo before Mischief mauls him to pieces. You think so, you think I can bounce there?” and she’s out of the bedroom door.

But she jumps the last number of stairs, lands on the polished floorboards of the hall and bounces. She hits her head on the chandelier which shatters into pieces sending glass raining all around the hall. Mischief wakes up. He is so terrified, he leaps out of the tree and disappears. Leo lies on the grass with a weird sort of smile. Does he have magic powers?

5 comments:

Rick said...

Sue I found this to be an enchanting story. What an imaginative super power. I like the attitude of the girls, not wanting to indulge themselves with the power but instead they wait for something important to happen, like a super power shouldn't be taken frivolously. And I liked what I consider to be a comic ending. Freda uses her super power to rescue Leo, but not how she thought she would.

From a continuity context, I was puzzled about Mischief waking up. Startled and scared maybe, but a cat out on the thin branches would hardly be asleep.

And I'm puzzled by the title. It doesn't seem to fit.

Unknown said...

Heather says:
A really fun story, Sue, and I love this superpower. Bouncing! - now, THERE's a useless superpower, UNLESS...and you find a very cute "unless".

I had a little trouble believing that the girls could refrain from a bouncing display all day, or at least that Freda could resist testing her superpower on occasion.

I'm left wondering how Leo could possibly have known that he'd need his human to have this particular superpower! - he MUST be a magician.

Scriveners said...

Eve here, Sue,
You handled this "assignment" with such a sense of fun that your writing just seemed to flow and I felt like a got to bounce along with Freda - to enjoy her heroic feline rescue!

Scriveners said...

Eve here, Sue,
You handled this "assignment" with such a sense of fun that your writing just seemed to flow and I felt like I got to bounce along with Freda - to enjoy her heroic feline rescue!

Scriveners said...

Jenny says:

A lovely tale with typical Sue whimsy.

I agree with Heather - Freda seems to have displayed superhuman restraint not to play with that power all day!

I also liked the comic ending, and had the same reaction as Rick to the idea that the cat may be sleeping on a thin branch.

Lots of fun - you definitely have a mind for children's stories!