Monday 17 August 2009

Leap of a million light years (Kerry)

To my morning-after eyes the glass-topped coffee table at my elbow has the look of something from outer space. Several glasses are scattered around a central bunch of bottles. Various splashes and spills of indeterminate substances, and occasional cigarette butts and broken crackers recreate the mysteries of space in a mundane, domestic, celebratory way.

Across the room Chris is lying with his legs draped over the body of another colleague. I recognise May’s floral print dress but her head is hidden behind the couch. Klaus is snoring loudly on the couch he commandeered early in the evening. Stan has collapsed on the carpet at my feet. It was late when he joined us but it didn’t take him long to get into the swing of the celebrations. I seem to remember shoving him off the divan at some stage during the evening. There wasn’t room for two.

I ease myself painfully into a sitting position and give Stan a little kick to start the process of regaining consciousness. His only response is a muted grunt; perhaps because his face is buried in the shag pile. I give him a full-on shake. He turns, opens his eyes and acknowledges me.

“Come on, Stan,” I coerce him. “Shake a leg. We’ve got work to do.”

“Ah, Toni,” he mumbles as though his brain is processing in slow motion. “That was some party.”

“Judging by the bottles, we had quite a bit to drink. It won’t help us today with our work unfortunately. We are expected to be at the press conference in an hour.”

While Stan gathers himself together, I wake the others.

The five of us form an exceptional team and yesterday we had a breakthrough after years of working together. We detected human-like signals from outer space, maybe a million light years away. That was worth a big celebration.

As the night wore on we had argued about the kind of civilisation that might have existed so long ago and that would have had the technology to send radio signals out into the universe. The whole concept was so confusingly mind-blowing that the discussion degenerated into a one-way haranguing from Klaus on his version of existentialist theory and the absurdity of human existence.

“Klaus,” I murmured as I moved over to where he stood savouring a strong coffee, “how would you like to take the lead at the press conference this morning and let the journalists in on some of your theories of human existence?”

“Sure. I can do that,” Klaus responded with a glint in his eye. “I can take them though my theory of extra-terrestrial beings as well. Maybe even touch on UFOs.”

My mind began to wander as I drained the coffee pot. The mention of UFOs set me thinking about crop circles, alien kidnappings and close encounters of the third kind. Our discovery was another giant leap for mankind.

We would certainly make the headlines this time.

3 comments:

Scriveners said...

Heather says:

THis is a great picture of a team who really has something to celebrate - and they celebrate their heads off, practically.

Your first paragraph is riveting. I love the way you weave your theme (space, which we are not to familiar with) into the chaos of the morning after (which we're all familiar with).

There's a nice punch to the closing line but the paragraph or two before that seems to lose a little steam.

sue moffitt said...

I love the beginning. Especially as I too have morning-after eyes!! And the next para shows a wild party took place. Great word pictures.

I found the story more about the party and less about the outer space find. It's almost like two stories in one. The party one was much more real and I get a sense that you weren't sure how to end the story. I felt a bit let down. What do you think?

I like the writing in the present tense. You don't usually do that. Well done.

Rick said...

Kerry I found this to be an amazing read. First I loved the whole POV from Toni. She gives us the whole story in such an intellectual and erudite tone. Even the details of the party's aftermath are done with astronomical terminology. And the description of the party is priceless. I can see the scientists getting more and more plastered and trying to stay intelligent in their discussions. They don't get into details of last night's footy or cricket match. The debate more lofty matters.

And I love how you wove in current events around outer space, like UFOs, giant leap for mankind and CE3K.

Loved it all. One of your best IMHO.