Monday 17 August 2009

Conditions Apply - by Rick

What would happen if you could fly whenever you wanted?
Ok, so I know I should never look a gift horse in the mouth, but this sounds a bit too good to be true. There must be some strings attached. (Hey is that what keeps me up in the air?)

For instance, there is no mention of how fast I could fly. Am I limited to say walking speeds? Or do I get to be more like Superman and fly at supersonic speeds? I mean if I can only fly at 6 kmph then I sure couldn’t use this ability so save on my overseas flying. I mean 2000 hours to go from Sydney to Vancouver just doesn’t cut it.

And speaking of long distance flying, how strong am I in my flying? What is my lift capacity? Can I put 2 or 3 suitcases on my back? Or am I limited to my body plus a pair of Speedos? See this gets pretty tricky. If I’m limited to pretty much my body weight plus say a kilo or two of extra baggage, then even if I could fly fairly fast, it couldn’t be to take some luggage along for a holiday. Maybe go down to the local Woolies and pick up a litre of milk, but that’s about all.

And how high do I get to fly? 5 metres up? 5 kilometres? I know if I go too high I’ll pass out due to lack of oxygen and it also takes a lot of energy to get up high. Passing out just won’t do as I would wake up smashed to bits or worse not wake up at all when I hit the ground.

And another thing. Am I the only one to have this power? If I am, then it’s kind of a lonely gift. Whatever my other boundaries are, I would have to do all my flying solo which can be pretty lonely and likely even boring.

One more. What’s my motive power? Do I flap my arms or just kind of skim along the way Superman does? Because if I have to keep flapping my arms, that’s going to wear me out pretty quickly. I guess I could get myself in shape. I mean I can go out walking for a couple of hours without much trouble so I can see myself building up my arms and chest and do the same with flying. Could be a real benefit just to get in shape more.

So much as I want to just take this wonderful offer as is, I have to get these questions answered. And another just came up. What does this cost me? Is this free or do I have to sell my soul? If it’s totally free, well I guess I could do something for fun even with the minimum of features.

Let me know asap. I’m going to Vancouver this weekend and you might save me some bucks.

4 comments:

Scriveners said...

Heather says:

I have this mental image of your character pacing around his genie while the genie rolls his eyes and thinks, "Will you just take flight and GO already??!!"

I like the mental research and the exploration of what the new capability really means. We get to know your character well through his thoughts. I love him - he represents us all in the face of a fantabulous gift. (Though the genie might give up on the human race as a result of this encounter.)

sue moffitt said...

Rick, I love this and it's just so you. Having to have all the questions answered. In fact having all those questions in the first place is a fascinating concept for me!!

So it's a wonderful read. Very entertaining and funny. You've created good structure and I feel totally complete at the end. Like Heather I can see you pacing around, talking to yourself or someone else maybe. Very great.

No improvements, I love it the way it is. So authentic.

Scriveners said...

Hi Rick from Peta,

I have to say I have many of the same questions - the one that has always struck a chord is - do we flap our arms or do the superman?? It is exhausting just thinking about the possibilities. Enjoy the piece very much.

Scriveners said...

Kerry says:

Neat piece of writing Rick. Very personal and written in a consistent colloquial style. The reader is drawn into the investigation and becomes curious about what's possible.

What about some answers? Are you limited to Speedos only? Love the image!

Good fun.