Sunday 4 January 2009

Considering the Murray-Darling project

Murray-Darling Project

Before I proceed any further with my declared game of creating a proposal for a PhD on the Murray-Darling, I want to clarify my thinking on the idea of doing a PhD and the idea of the PhD being on the Murray-Darling.

Why do I want to do a PhD?

One of the things I enjoyed about doing my Master’s degree was the opportunity to do research, a new experience for me. I loved having the freedom to follow a line of thought through multiple sources and to trace through the new ideas that emerged in the process. I look forward to doing more research and undertaking a PhD would allow me to take this on in a structured environment.

I see doing a PhD as a way of keeping my brain active. I want to be undertaking activities that keep me thinking and challenge me beyond what I already know. The work involved in a PhD would have me engaged in conversations with staff and other students on all manner of subjects. It would also be necessary for me to present papers and ideas to audiences of staff and students. Although at this stage that is a daunting process I want to push myself in the area of articulating ideas and public speaking.

I enjoy writing and am comfortable with writing in an ‘academic’ way if that is necessary. At least using footnotes, references and so on is not a problem and I like the discipline it brings to the writing.

The PhD would also require me to create a body of artwork. Working in an environment with a community of artists and a supervisor to bounce ideas off can stimulate interesting and creative work that pushes the boundaries. This is how I would like to approach my art practice.

Why base the PhD on the Murray-Darling?

The idea of a PhD is that it makes a contribution to knowledge. I have a particular connection with the Murray River having grown up in the Murray Valley. I explored this theme to a limited extent in my Master’s thesis. I think it’s not so much that I have a particular bond with this country but that it is familiar country. Unless I find a more passionate idea to do with the Murray-Darling this familiarity with the country is not sufficient to base a PhD on.

On the other hand, doing research on the Murray would strengthen my connection to that land. For instance, it could be an opportunity to trace the history of the aboriginal population in the area around Echuca. I went to school with aboriginal children who lived on the ‘reservation’ at Barmah and thought very little about their circumstances. It would be interesting to find out what went on before my time in that regard. And to see what is happening with the Indigenous people now, particularly to follow up any creative activities they may be undertaking. At a conference last year I heard about how each Indigenous community in Victoria had made a possum skin coat as a ritual or sacred object for the community to use in special ceremonies. I loved that idea. Perhaps the people on the Murray have a special story or practice that would be of interest. Or perhaps there are no people left from that community. This would have to be checked out for any proposal.

I am particularly drawn to the historical aspects of a study. This may form the basis for the whole study or may be background for a contemporary study.

My intention is to continue exploring my interest in the Murray River country as a basis for a PhD proposal and transform it into a passion for a particular aspect of that country.

Kerry
4/1/08

3 comments:

Scriveners said...

Kerry I enjoyed the sharing of your thoughts on why you would do a PhD on the Murray Darling. I can see that you need to expand our knowledge of the Murray Darling for it to be of PhD material and not just Kerry M. having a brain dump. What a challenge!

Rick

Scriveners said...

Dear Kerry. thanks for sharing your thoughts about the phd project. I found your piece a good conversation with yourself and an honest assessment of where and why. I completely got your love of doing, ie researching, writing, public speaking and it sounds to me a great rationale for the course. Your wonderings about the Murray and acknowledging that it's the passion that is currently missing stands alone. Have fun exploring!! Sue

Unknown said...

Hi Kerry. (Have had trouble getting this comment to publish but will try again.)
I really got it.
Find the passion! - as that's what will make the hundreds and hundreds of hours of work be mostly the glorious adventure you can already taste.

Heather