Saturday 21 August 2010

Sue - Life-Changing Event

“My hair, no, oh no not my hair!”

Jeanette wakes up in a sweaty panic. She can cope with the rest of the drama around chemotherapy, but losing her hair was beyond the bounds of acceptable.

She rings Mary.

“I can’t go bald. I’d have a terrible egg shaped bare head, sticky out ears, such pronounced cheek bones that I’d look like I’ve starved myself and I’d be so cold. Mary what am I going to do?”

“I’m on my way around. We’ll create something, don’t worry”

The two girls huddle around the coffee table. Mary has a glass of red wine, Jeanette a steaming mug of cocoa.

“Right” says Mary. “First things first. How long, or how many chemo sessions, before your hair starts to fall out?”

“Oh Mary. I’ll look so terrible. Just look” and she pulls her long blond hair back from her face and severely smooths down the top.

“Ok, a wig it is. That’s easy. Would you like a real one, one with real hair, or can you handle one of those shiny synthetic ones?” “Or, we could scrap the wig idea and get absolutely carried away with a hat. Not just one hat, but a hat for every outfit. Can you imagine a floppy pink hat for parading around Bondi, a pull down over your ears 1920 style one for wearing to work. A black one would go with a few of your suits. Then you could go for a bright orange or wicked pink for party time.”

Jeanette manages a little grin.

“And we could play up even more with earrings. You know, long dangly ones to go with the floppy hat or colourful little studs for work”.

“Jeanette, I know this is a real challenge but we could make it into some fun”.

Now Jeanette gets into the action.

“Let’s go shopping Mary. There’s no better therapy than a bit of retail. I need some warm gear especially for casual wear, you know, a fleecy lined trackie, some red ugg boots and matching pom pom hat.”

She bursts out laughing. “I think Santa earrings would look great with that even though it’s not Christmas”

Now it’s Mary’s turn.

“Well I want a long dress for next year’s Darwin Cup Ball. Can you imagine, for such a way out, isolated place, Darwin has more formal events than the rest of Australia.” “I want something interesting and funky, but I will have to wear it more than once. What colour shall I go for?”

“I’d love to see you in something bright. For God’s sake don’t do any more black. You keep buying black and it washes you out and is so severe. How about purple? Or rust?”

“Wanna go shopping now Jeanette? We’ve got a couple of hours before they close at Bondi”

The two girls bundle themselves into Mary’s Suzuki. The roof is down and the air warm. Mary pulls an old cloche hat down over her short hair. Jeanette drags her hair back into a pony tail then plonks a sou’wester, a yellow shiny one, on top. They look at each other, they both cuddle to look at themselves in the rear vision mirror. They start giggling. And giggling. And giggling. In hoots of laughter they troll up the road.

5 comments:

Scriveners said...

Sue

You have created the chatter which is great as I can hear the two talking. Somehow, I did not get it that life was changing. Seemed to go on as before. May be this was your point!!!

Gordon

Scriveners said...

Kerry says:
what a fun piece, Sue. And you didn't think you could come up with a life-changing event! Losing one's hair as a result of chemotherapy is such a traumatic thing but it is generally down-played. Good for you for highlighting it. And it is such a light-hearted take on the crisis.
I got a bit confused with who was saying what at times and wondered if you could put in more 'Jeanette says' type things. A little hiatus like that can be an opportunity to give the reader a sense of the flavour of the conversation too if you add remarks like 'Jeanette says, drawing her hand across her skirt' or whatever.

Unknown said...

A really enjoyable read, Sue. Your dialogue had me right there with the girls, struggling with an awful challenge. Losing one's hair is a terrifying thing (I contemplated getting the shave once, for 2 1/2 seconds) but in the context of battling for one's life, it's even more poignant.

I saw the event as life-altering. Jeanette gets past something important to the whole way she lives her life for the next many months.

I would suggest having the story start with the girls together in Jeannette's living room. You can do the sweaty wake-up as back story. ("Oh, Mary, I was in such a panic when I woke up this morning...")

You do girls-connecting so beautifully :-)

Scriveners said...

Hi Sue

As usual your story trips along at a nice pace as the girls chatter away about the hair issue and possible solutions. I didn't feel quite the drama I would imagine in such circumstances. Seemed quite a light hearted conversation despite the seriousness of the problem. Again you create lovely colourful visuals in your descriptions of the characters and their conversation.

Peta

Rick said...

Nice little story Sue. I love how Jeanette transformed from someone completely overwhelmed with the enormity of her cancer and the consequences all through the power of communication. Really a double life-changing event.

Loved the girly conversations and the power of shopping in the life of the fair sex.