Monday 26 October 2009

Shame on me (Heather's competition entry draft)

I drop my spoon, causing it to clang loudly on the saucer of my coffee. I smother the spoon quickly with my hand and avert my head in case Ben looks in my direction.

But I needn’t have worried. Ben is too busy finding a booth at the same time as scanning the room for someone.

What on earth is he doing here?

I replay the scene back at the apartment a few minutes ago. We were both there for lunch and I’d served up a quick salad with the leftover chicken.

“Well,” Ben had said, stretching. “That was delish. Anyway, guess I’d better head off and get the Bentley job finished.” Ben’s an electrician, with his own company, so he comes and goes pretty much as he pleases.

Yes, I’m sure that’s exactly what he said.

I’d flipped him a wave and headed for the computer where I’d been working on the wedding invitations.

He followed me over and gave me a kiss. He peered at the screen. “Working on the wedding, I see?” he said. We’re going to have the wedding of the century. Ben teases me about it costing a lot but he’s a pushover. He’d do anything for me. “See you later, Princess,” he said. Now that I think about it, didn’t he caress my hair in an unusual, thoughtful kind of way?

Anyway, I gave him an affectionate push and dove back online where I’d been trying to sort out the font for the invitations. As he walked out the door, I thought to myself, I’m a bit sick of this. I think I’ll go to Ready’s for a coffee and then skip down to the bombonierie to check out their ideas for the little table gifts for the guests.


So here I am. But more to the point, here HE is, when he’d told me a few minutes ago that he was heading off to finish up a job he’d been working on. He lied to me! What for?

He disappears from my view for a second and then startles me by popping into the booth right next to mine, screened by a trellissy sort of thing. I’m trying madly to decide whether or not to pop my head over the screen and say hello.

I am still debating this when a perky brunette comes through the door, breaks into a big smile and heads straight to his booth. “Ben!” she says. “How good is it to see you!” He leaps up and she gives him a huge hug. He hugs her unreservedly back.

I freeze like a deer in the headlights. This is my worst nightmare; it must be every fiancĂ©e’s worst nightmare. You catch your man practically in flagrante with someone else just months before your wedding. My fists clench. I have a thought that it’s lucky I don’t have a gun, because if I did, I might start shooting.

Instead, I concentrate on listening.

“Well, congratulations on your engagement,” the brunette says in this fruity contralto voice. “I hear you had a big shindig.”

Ben coughs uncomfortably. “Well, yes, sorry about not inviting you. I’d have loved to but Suz is a little, well, possessive. She goes off like rocket if I so much as look at someone else.”

“That’s a shame,” Contralto Voice says. “So she’s a little insecure?”

I bristle and the anger builds. I’m being patronised? If there’s one thing I’m not, it’s insecure. My friends tell me I’m drop dead gorgeous; well, at least I make the most of my natural features. I’ve had a few small procedures to enhance…

I can’t believe it. Ben is telling her about them.

“For example,” he’s saying, “she’s had a few what she calls ‘small procedures’. She’s had her nose done, and her teeth whitened, and…”

Ben, don’t. Don’t!

“…And she had her breasts augmented. I mean, they’re great, very attractive, the guys give me a hard time which is terrific, but really, it was the last thing I wanted her to do.”

By now I am sitting very very still. I seem to be paralysed. I hear my heartbeat in my ears. I want desperately to be transported to some other part of the planet, Afghanistan, maybe. Where they wear burkas. A train is bearing down on me and I’m powerless to stop it. I can feel every fibre of my being coming unravelled.

“I’ve been to the wedding website, and love your photos. She’s very pretty,” says Contralto.

“Oh, don’t talk to me about the wedding,” Ben says, and another dagger strikes my heart. “I said from the beginning we should just have something small and intimate, but it’s like I’m invisible. This thing is shaping up bigger than the launch of the Titanic.”

“Bad metaphor,” the brunette laughs.

“It’s going to break the bank for both her parents and my parents. But it’ll be impressive and that’s the important thing,” he says. The dagger twists.

“And I won’t be able to come and be impressed,” she says softly.

Ben takes a while replying and sounds sad. “No, I’d never get an ex-girlfriend past her onto the guest list.”

“That’s all right, Ben,” she says. “What I like is a good talk with you. I’m happy to catch up like this.”

“Even if I have to sneak out,” laughs Ben.

“Even if,” she replies, a smile in her voice.

I can feel the bile rising up my throat. I’ve never felt anything like this – a wave of shame so extreme that I think I might die on the spot.

“We call her Princess,” Ben says, betraying me even further. “Her dad used to call her Princess, and now I do. But I do it…”

“…With a hint of irony,” she supplies.

“Plenty of irony,” says Ben.

And then she says: “You sure she’s right for you, Ben?”

The silence that follows is the longest ten minutes of my life. Well, maybe it isn’t ten minutes but it feels like it. I can’t breathe. I can’t think. Even the hand holding my coffee cup stops shaking.

Finally he says, so quietly I can hardly hear him, “Oh yes, I’m sure. I’ve never been so sure of anything. She’s warm and funny and so full of life and I just love her,” he says simply. “I’d do anything for her.”

I gulp back a sob and suddenly I can’t endure it anymore. I drop a $10 bill on the table and slink out. “I hope everything was okay, miss,” somebody calls out loudly as I head out the door. I don’t turn back.


Later that afternoon, Ben comes home. I’m ready for him.

He hangs up his jacket and looks at me closely. “Have you been crying?”

“I’ve been thinking,” I say quickly before a fresh crop of tears can give me away. “I’ve been thinking about our wedding.”

Ben looks alarmed. “Princess, we’ve already…”

I cut him off. “Stop,” I say. “I was thinking about doing something much simpler, much more…” I hesitate, “…intimate. Just a few family members, some of our closest old friends, even people from before we knew each other. Maybe in your mum’s garden, followed by some tasty snacks.” I skid to a halt. I can’t say any more.

Ben’s expression flashes bewilderment, flickers for a microsecond on sceptical and finally lands on relieved and radiant. That look is my reward for everything in my life that I have done right. He sits down beside me and I fold into his arms. The brittle terror I’ve been feeling dissolves just like that.

“And don’t call me Princess,” I add. “Please? Okay? I don’t want to be called Princess anymore.”

Word count: 1300

Alternative titles:
I’d do anything for you
Dethroned
The Princess takes a fall
The stranger in my place
Restored to grace

4 comments:

sue moffitt said...

Character is Suz, of marriageable age, her Dad called her Princess so she’s a bit precious. Very attractive and with a few enhancements. She’s warm and funny and loves life (so says Ben). She’s doing all the PC work for their wedding – maybe she doesn’t work. But the tedious work gets to her and she’s off for a coffee. She starts off being sceptical and jealous (of the ex), seems a bit paranoid (Ben also alludes to her jealousy). At the end of the story she’s generous and giving and not so precious!
Why did she transform herself, the cafe scene ends happily?
I’m not sure that I get warm and funny about her – maybe there’s some part of the backstory that could show this up. What predominantly comes through is her jealousy and paranoia.
POV
He leaps up and she gives him a huge hug. He hugs her unreservedly back. POV. Also Ben hugs her unreservedly ?? through the trellis thing?
Re backstory
This is too long – I think you can cut out a lot of stuff that doesn’t necessarily forward the story or say more about Suz character.
As he walked out the door, I thought to myself, I’m a bit sick of this. I think I’ll go to Ready’s for a coffee and then skip down to the ………………………. I thought she was a bit sick of the relationship rather than the PC work?????

The plot and the theme
What is Suz’s goal?
For theme I’ve been using the distinction “unanswerable question” and that’s the question that sits behind the scenes of the story, eg for my story it’s “does Harry discover his true self”. The reader follows not only the plot but also the emotional journey of the character to get to the answer. It’s like an intangible goal. Eg
Generally
I don’t think is as deep or complex a story as you usually write. The subject is great but the story for me needs more structure and complexity. Don’t forget the show not tell!!

Scriveners said...

Kerry says:

I'll be interested to see what you are going to do with this story Heather.

In its present form it feels a bit light, needs some depth and complexity. I appreciate that Suz is the narrator and you are writing in her 'voice' but perhaps her 'airheadedness' (real word?) is infecting the story too much.

I would like to hear more about the transformation in her thinking from cafe exit to Ben coming in the door.

And how can Ben be so disloyal about Suz with the fruity contralto? I'd like to see some more about where he's coming from.

I tripped in the first sentence on 'the saucer of my coffee'. Could it be simply 'my saucer'?

Scriveners said...

Peta's comments

My overall feeling was that this needed a bit more punch.

Para 4 could maybe carry straight on from 3 so e.g. What is he doing here? Just a few minutes ago back at the apartment, we were having [lunch] and he said ...

Query whether in para 8 Suz needs to say the 2 sentences about the wedding given that Ben will tell this story in his conversation and nothing is added by doubling up on this piece of info.

Paras 11 and 12 - similarly do you need the "I am still debating this" rather than "and say hello when a perky.."

I think the extra words you save could be better used.

"very attractive" seemed to me an od way to describe breasts!

Again para 23 - the first 2 sentences could perhaps be combined to make it sharper "I am paralysed. My heartbeat is pounding in my ears." Also not sure about the train thing.

Rather than just gulping back a sob in para 40 maybe she should be having a more emotional response.

Maybe in para 27 Ben could describe more abou the wedding and the over the topness of it.

We have no real visual feel for either Ben or Suz (except that Suz is made over!) - maybe you could use the extra words to give them more of a physical presence.

Scriveners said...

Heather
1. A great theme.
2. The point of view of Suz's is not clear--it gets confused through the story. For example: "What on earth is he doing here?" jumps to "I replay the scene back ..." "I'd flipped him a wave ..." to "He followed me over ... ." Then to "So her I am ..." This for me illustrates the switching back and forth and the effect it has on feeling 'lost' through the story. The "So here I am." would be much better used to locate Ready's.
3. I think that with some more guideposts to the reader it will become a powerful story but a bit more depth to the 'internal dialogue" of Suz.
4. Note no closing quote mark after "That was delish.
5. Not sure how you are using Contralto Voice. Real name or not? Then you use brunette and also Contralto.
6. Wonder about the power of the last sentence. You have to think about it quite a bit to get it!
Have fun editing!
Gordon