Thursday 5 February 2009

Valentine's Day Cliche (Kerry)

(Create a 500 word story out of trapped in the bathroom on Valentine's Day)

The arrogance! The insensitivity! I thought I knew the guy. How could I have been so wrong? The scene flashes unbidden into my mind. I was so embarrassed and angry.

An invitation to The Whalers had certainly impressed my friends. The fancy restaurant, expansive ocean views, and reputedly great food were exciting, and flattering I have to say. We had a table out on the deck and the waiters were very attentive. In honour of Valentine’s Day, they brought a bottle of champagne to the table first up, on the house.

It was when John announced that he already done the ordering for both of us that I began to get a little uncomfortable. My disquiet increased when all the old Valentine’s Day clichés appeared.

I really like oysters but at The Whalers I had been looking forward to sampling their signature tuna entrée. I know that sounds ungrateful but I’m not likely to be back there in this lifetime. The lobster main was delicious. Aphrodite would have been in her element but I’m not really one to enjoy all that dripping and oozing. As for sucking the fingers and other disgusting displays, no thanks.

The ultimate aphrodisiac dessert has to be passionfruit pavlova; sweet white fluff smothered with whipped cream and seductive passionfruit. John had obviously forgotten that I’m allergic to eggs. I scraped some of the passionfruit off the top but it was far from satisfactory.

By then I was embarrassed. I felt I had taken the shine off the night by being less than enthusiastic about the meal. But John hadn’t seemed to notice. He was on a high, excited and chattering. My likes and dislikes were the least of his worries.

My worries increased however when the violinist came alongside the table and began serenading us. At the same time the waiter reappeared with a plate of chocolates. Perched in the centre of the chocolates was a red velvet box.

My heart sank.

John picked up the box, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. Just like that.

I realised that the other guests in the restaurant were in on the surprise. They had all stood up and were waiting expectantly.

I stared at him. My heart was pounding. I couldn’t believe this was happening to me. Anger flooded through my body, overwhelming me. I pushed back my chair and fled from the restaurant. I felt the sharp intake of breath from the guests as I passed.

The only refuge I could find was this toilet block on the beach. I came in here and cried my eyes out. I think I must have dozed off. Next thing I know it’s dark and the door is locked. There’s nothing to sit on unless you count the silent line of loos in the cubicles on the opposite wall. And plenty of time to consider my predicament before the council worker unlocks in the morning.

4 comments:

Scriveners said...

Jenny says:

All the girls in Scriveners reached the same conclusion, obviously!

I love the situation - John ordering all the wrong things, and being oblivious to her feelings.

The end didn't quite live up to the rest of the piece - not as engaging and immediate. It read like the bit at the end of a movie which tells you what happened to all the characters afterward. If you had located your heroine in the toilet block at the beginning, it might have tied it together, instead of finding out at the end that's where she has been all along.

The egg allergy was priceless! And the overall tone of anger and contempt throughout was very effective.

Rick said...

Definitely collaboration going on! What's wrong with you Sue? Didn't you get invited to the collaborators' ball?

I liked the humour mixed in with the fuming anger. Poor John. I'm sure he and his therapist will have trouble with this one. How could he have been so thick?

I think the ending does need something. It's like you forgot that the theme was "being trapped in the bathroom" and ended with "Oh and I trapped myself in a bathroom" to get that bit in.

I'm with Jenny. We need the "being trapped" coming up front and work the story around that.

Unknown said...

My biggest challenge – and really the joy of the story for me – is that I couldn’t decide whether I was sympathetic with your character or not. Is she a wise, worldly, grounded woman or a self-centred unromantic stick? So really, for me, your story is about corny vs romantic and how hard it is to spot the line between the two sometimes.

The story unfolded beautifully and every image (each of the deadly offenses) was wonderfully defined.

sue moffitt said...

Really great Kerry and yet another cut on the same theme. I really enjoyed the read (and felt a bit sick at the same time!) Yuck all the gew. The story realy builds momentum as the predictable courses are served and the equally predictible flowers, ring etc - how she stayed there as long as she did is beyond me.

Thank god for the toilet block ont he beach is all I can say. It really sounded like a cosy safe haven.

Great piece. the only suggestion is to put the opening thoughts into quotes.