Sunday 31 October 2010

Work in progress! Peta

“Come on Buster, I’ve told you before to cut out this crap. I’d love to lie around here all day, chewing the fat, pandering to your every wish but it just ain’t gonna happen. Now leave me alone to enjoy my last few minutes of lie in.”

I could feel Buster’s eyes boring into me disapprovingly. I heard the deep clunk of his chain against my briefcase as he lowered his head to rest there. His breathing was slow and deliberate. A low whisping sound, in and out. Rhythmical.

Shadows danced on the wall. The wind howled and the smell of fresh rain not far away mingled with the scent of the star jasmine. There was certainly no incentive to leave the comfort of the doona.

... “7.17 here at Seatown 87.4. Wakey wakey folks, you’re running late..” the radio alarm kicked in and the usual rubbish whined on. Stretching out, I slammed my hand on the clock radio. “snooze” kicked in and I snuggled down, closing my eyes tightly.

“thanks, Joe. That was Joe Windrom folks, sharing his insights on ..” blah blah blah. It seemed only seconds had passed.

I shifted to my left, swinging my feet off the side of the bed. Steadying myself I felt in the dark for my robe. Buster stirred and leapt to attention. I shuffled to the door, knocking my shoulder on the partially open cupboard. Buster’s long hair tickled my bare skin as he sidled up again my left leg. His chain rattled as he shook himself awake and blocked my path.

“Come on mate. It’s time for the bathroom.”

We trundled down the hall like an old couple on an outing. Buster close by my side, my hand tracing the wall as we moved on. With each stride my body was slowly coming alive.

“Good boy Buster, back in a little while.” He settled in the bathroom doorway.

The hot water streamed over my body. It felt delicious.

“Damn”. The body wash was empty and the shampoo was missing. Julia must have moved things around again. I wish she’d stop doing that. It’s so annoying. I scrubbed hard, feeling my skin respond with a tingle. The water gurgled as it welled in the exit trough and circled its way down through the pipes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this start, Peta. Your character is beautifully alive, Buster and Buster's relationship to you is great.

I feel I'm in the hands of a master storyteller and can't wait for the next installment.