Tuesday 12 October 2010

The Ice of Spring from Gordon









The Ice of Spring

Winter cold grades into spring
The sharpness fades with every ray
A pinch of warmth strikes to the face
And shifts a mind from hold to go

When leafless branches start to sprout
And memories fade of golden glow
Of circled ice that held the sun
That great amazement just begun

The brilliant white across the land
Encompasses all on which it lands
A generous spirit sweeps through all
And helps the mind to be enthralled

But far too soon a delicate green
Tinges all that spring can dream
It’s here and everywhere to gleam
With possibility created from all the green

Bursting forth the green transforms
The birds excite each others dreams
The squirrels run with rapid chase
And show us all expanded space

When leaves turn green and then to brown
They are complete and in the round
The season has just come to go
Like life is round with circles found

Gordon MacAulay
October 2010


4 comments:

sue moffitt said...

Hi Gordon
I was checking out the comments on my Kakadu story and couldn't resist reading your poem. what a terrific photo.
I loved your poem too. I got the full circle of the seasons and I sort of sighed at the end, its all so complete. I particularly love the 3rd verse, I felt enthralled too. I envy your ability to write poetry, its not quite my thing, I always try to have it rhyme. I know its incredibly difficult but I had to pause when I found a couple of words repeated, like dreams and green. Its a very evocative piece, I'm glad I discovered it. Sue

Unknown said...

Ah, spring in the cold climes. I loved the memories this evoked. "A pinch of warmth"..."birds excite each others' dreams" (no idea what that means but it's wonderful word-play)...and squirrels showing "us expanded space" - what fun.
Also loved the photo - is it yours?

Non-technical from you is great! (I mean, ALSO great.)

Peta said...

HI Gordon, what an unexpected piece from you. I enjoyed this and the rawness of it. Agree with both Sue's and Heather's comments. It really evokes some fabulous visuals. I think you have an undiscovered talent here. I also think that if you have another look at this in a few days you will be able to edit and further improve on this. I'd like to see more of this from you. Well done.

Scriveners said...

Kerry says:
This poem evokes a crisp, sharp change of season from winter to spring. It is not necessary to understand every phrase, there is something underlying that works. Well done, Gordon.