Saturday 2 October 2010

Darwin in the wet - cafes and restaurants

Hi all

This is draft and would appreciate input on the format. Does it work to have an experiencial introduction to cafes or would it be best to just have the logistics. I do need to add logistics to these places too, eg opening times etc

The Office

This popular, noisy and definitely local haunt disguises itself as the ground floor of a hotel. But just a few metres from the centre of town, this cafe serves up sumptuous salads like a plate piled high with raw energy or lavishly filled nutty looking bread rolls. The coffee is great and they stock my favourite T2 tea, lemongrass and ginger.

Buzz in the setting sun

The water stills, reflections become clear and the long asian style bamboo lights bend outwards to the sea. The restaurant hangs out onto the boardwalk overlooking sleepy yachts and funky triangular tables give intimate corner spaces.

Il Lido

Wander along the seawall to inviting wicker bucket seats with bright red cushions. Settle into the comfy chairs, order a cocktail or a tapas and just watch the world go by. The waterfront glistens in the late afternoon sun, a sea breeze slightly cools and the rest of the world seems a million miles away. Try the meals too. Il Lido is open for breakfast, lunch or dinner, from early until very late.

Boadwalk/Boatshed Cafe – Cullen Bay

Breakfast at the boardwalk is a Darwin institution especially on a busy and atmosphere filled Saturday morning. The speciality “Pan”?? breakfast is as it sounds - the works served up in a frying pan. Or for something lighter, try the big chunks of fresh fruit salad or the honey smeared muesli with yoghurt. The coffee is one of the best in town and there is nothing better than sitting out on the boardwalk, sipping a coffee and reading the paper.

The cafes in Star Arcade

This is my favourite place in Darwin. The Frangipani trees send dappled shade across the pavers and the occasional umbrella shades the takeaway tables. The passageway into the courtyard tells a fascinating story about the old Star cinema, a classic open air picture theatre which operated from ??. which then opens up into a buzzy and inviting place to dine and shop. It’s where the locals hang out at lunch time. And sometimes they just stop for a while - read the paper, get a coffee, check out anything new at the Vintage clothes shop or intriguing shoe shop called, Me and My Llama.
• Me and My Llama
• Vintage Twist
• Frond
• Pure Indulgence chocolate
• Cafes – a popular and busy local’s haunt

The 4 Birds

This little cafe is tucked away but far from a hidden treasure it is becoming a very popular place to “hang out”, have a coffee, or a Panini. Relax inside on the comfy sofa or soak up the atmosphere outside on benches, stools or upside down crates (with cushion) organised around little low asian tables. It’s a very cosy place to be (and the coffee is great).

Simply Salads

This is more than just green leaves. Stop here for sumptuous salads, homemade every day, or add a falafel or today’s special pie. There’s a shady and cool corner to sit and relax, meet a friend and catch up on a bit of gossip.

Rendezvous Cafe

This unassuming little cafe, bursts at the seams at lunch time as people queue up for their regular laksa fix. That’s its reputation, “the best laksa in town”.

Takeaway by the Post Office
It might be a weird location but Coffee Beanz makes wonderful coffee, especially the double shot piccolo latte! It’s perfect to just drop in here on your way to work or play.

3 comments:

Peta said...

Hi Sue

I wrote comments on this but must have pushed the wrong button and ????. So I'll start again

I thought you need to add a depth of detail to this - the descritpion of the places is great but they are cafes and the food is a big part of this yet the food rates little mention

e.g.
sumptuous salads like a plate piled high with raw energy - I love the salad idea but of raw energy? what does thi smean? I amnot convinced.

Il Lido has tapas but "try the meals too" - not convinced.

A lot of places have "great" coffee. Maybe try and distinguish the offerings a bit more.

I think this is a great start I'd like to know more cos it sounds like you have some great choices available. Lucky you!
to entice the reader to want to go to these places

Unknown said...

I tried to look at which restaurants I would be most inclined to visit after your introduction. I’d like to try Star Arcade (I think because you out and out say it’s your favourite place in Darwin) and the Rendezvous (I think because it’s “bursting at the seams”). Second person never really works for me, as it leaves me feeling patronised and “marketed”, but I know it’s very common in travel writing and probably tried and tested.

As Peta said, I’d like to see more comment, more detail, more things about the food that distinguish one restaurant from the other.

You ask if it should have an “experiential” introduction, or just the logistics. It’s a great question and right at the heart of it, I reckon. Speaking for myself, I want to know what you thought. I can get the blah blah from the website, but I’m interested in your skin-on-the-ground assessment of what’s on offer. I bought the book because I trusted your judgement in the first place.

It’s exciting to see the book coming together and getting down to the nitty-grit!

Scriveners said...

Kerry says:
Your experiences of the cafes work for me Sue. I love the view from Buzz as the sun sets. And I want to know what there is to eat as well, what you enjoyed. Very evocative descriptions.