Saturday 19 September 2009

I needed a few moments - Peta

I needed a few moments just to be alone.

My Saturday afternoon ritual was time spent alone in the garden. The kids were generally out with their mates and Jack played a round of golf at his club. I had always found weeding therapeutic. It helped clear out the cobwebs and worries of the week.

When Jo called and asked me to meet her I was somewhat reluctant. I enjoyed the solitude and rare time to myself. But it was a stunningly warm spring day and a walk by the beach and a cup of coffee sounded like a nice break from the routine. I hadn’t seen Jo for weeks and it sounded like she needed a deep and meaningful.

Jo suggested we meet at La Perouse which was roughly a half way point. The café was popular and had a lovely view over Yarra Bay. Jo was waiting when I arrived and seemed nervous. I was immediately worried about her. She made small talk as we walked, then stopped abruptly at the café window. She hesitated for an instance before looking through the window. My eyes followed her gaze.

I could not believe what I saw. Jack, my Jack. The father of my children. The man I had slept next to for 25 years. There he sat, clearly relaxed, looking totally besotted with a 20 something blonde. Barely older than our daughter Rebecca.


It was blatantly obvious they knew each other very well, intimately even. His arm sat lazily across her shoulders, squeezing affectionately from time to time. He threw his head back and laughed raucously at something she said. Her long curls bounced as she shook her head from side to side in amusement. Perfect white teeth gleamed as she smiled. She smiled a lot. Her long articulate fingers capped with bright red polish caressed the coarse hair on Jack’s leg in a familiar fashion. They clinked glasses and sipped chilled white wine. Jack hated white wine.


Reluctantly Jo walked solemnly back to the cars. I felt sick to my stomach as I staggered to the rear lane. Bending over I retched. Bitter bile filled my mouth and I spat it inelegantly into the gutter. I lent against a brick wall. The coolness of it was strangely soothing. My body was numb but my head throbbed, ready to explode. The same questions came and went repeatedly. How long had this been going on? How could I not have known?


I thought we had the perfect marriage. Well maybe not perfect but certainly not troubled. We had 3 great kids, an active sex life and talked about everything. Arguments were few and never serious. I never doubted that we would grow old together. I often visualized us sitting on a park bench, holding hands as we looked out to sea enjoying the serenity and peace together. And now the dream was shattered. Just like that. In the blink of an eye.

Pulling myself together, I walked shakily back to the café shop front. It was real. There they were. Still laughing, still drinking white wine. Not a care in the world.


“Hello Jack” I said as calmly as possible as I approached the table. My heart pounded in my chest as I struggled to maintain control. The colour drained from Jack’s face instantaneously. Blondie was clearly confused, as she looked from me to Jack and back to me.

“Don’t get up on my account, Jack. Perhaps when you have finished your golf game you could come home and pick up your bags. They’ll be packed and waiting for you on the porch. I’m sure your friend here will be only too happy to have you for a sleepover. I’m guessing it won’t be the first time.”

The waiter hurried to the table too late to catch the ice bucket as it toppled over, iced water and wine soaking into Jack’s lap.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Heather says:

What a compelling read! - a simple story on a complex subject that hangs together beautifully. Every word counts; you know from the beginning that you need to pay close attention because everything is a clue.

Love the detail as you first see him, like a scene that burns itself on your retina. "Caressing the coarse hair on his legs" - such a strong detail.

Also love the relationship with Jo. Hardly a word got spoken between them but theirs is obviously the strong relationship.

Thanks, Peta!

Scriveners said...

Jenny says:

A nice twist on the prompt, Peta - not getting those moments alone in the beginning, and ending up facing a lifetime alone.

I was a bit disturbed that the protagonist would write off a 25-year relationship in the blink of an eye, but I know that some people really do act that way when they suspect sexual infidelity.

The description was really well done - showing the intimacy between Jack and the other woman, rather than telling. And the fact that he was drinking white wine, which he apparently used to hate, is a fabulous metaphor.

Well written!