Sunday 27 September 2009

A Hermit Created (Gordon)

Write about your experience of life as a hermit.

Overwhelming fear grabbed my stomach until it turned inside out. The waves lashed against the side of my small boat and the engine was helpless against the Herculean waves whipped up by the wind and tide in the late afternoon. In seconds I was smashed against the rocks and the boat was sinking. My whole lonely life appeared to pass before my mind—was this the end? I grabbed the life buoy and dived overboard and swam with a slow and measured pace. Somehow the force of the tide carried me away from the jagged rocks and I was able to struggle toward a small sandy patch of beach where the waves dumped me ashore floating on the crest of a big breaker.

Helpless, I sat on the beach that was whipped by swirling, stinging winds, miles from any source of help or rescue with only my wet clothes. I thanked my lucky stars that somehow I lived. The immense fear I felt turned to elation and amazement at the force of nature.

Working my way up the beach I began to reflect on the argument I had had with my father and how I had gone over it a thousand times. “He did not understand”. I repeated it over and over. I was madly in love with her but she was from Africa. He had contacted her father and it killed the relationship. My heart was broken as she said it would not work.

The beach was desolate but as I walked back to the tree line for shelter I noticed hidden amongst the bush was what looked like sheets of rusty coloured galvanised iron. As I moved closer I could see a small hut hidden behind the sand dunes and protected from the ocean’s wind and waves. “Damn my father, I am out of it.” “The rest of the world can go hang.” It was a moment of fundamental and life-transforming decision. I yelled into the wind “I am alone forever, forever, forever!” I wanted no one to ever interfere in my life again.

The hut was rustic with number eight galvanised wire holding the wobbly wooden beams together and the sheets of iron were tied on with looped wire. There was the occasional piece of driftwood in the frame and a hardened red ironstone floor. There was not a nail to be found. In the corner was a wooden frame that had held boards for a bed. These were scattered on the floor. A chimney of types was constructed out of the galvanised sheets wrapped vertically and tied into the roof. There was a rolled fishing line stuck between one of the boards and a corrugation. A small knife was part covered with dirt and on the floor and a three-legged stool lay tipped over in one corner. There was a scattering of rubbish and other small items just outside the doorway left as though they were no longer wanted.

Fatigue suddenly overcame me. I collected together some small leaves and branches and assembled a rough bed. I lay down and slept. It was a deep sleep of someone profoundly satisfied with a life shaping decision.

As the sun rose over the ocean and popped over the sand dune to gleam through the cracks and rusty holes in the galvanised iron I was awakened by a myriad of birds calling to each other. I quickly walked the short distance to the beach. Bits of my boat and the large sealed cooler I had in the cabin had floated to the sand and were being washed back and forth in the rolling waves. I quickly rescued the cooler and thus had at least a few days worth of food.

I looked out to the horizon—there was nothing but water. No boats, no clouds. Nothing. It was at this point that I knew I was alone and I could feel the deep pleasure of knowing I could create a new world of one on a hermit’s island.

Gordon MacAulay
27 September 2009

4 comments:

sue moffitt said...

Nice story. A bit different being a hermit and marooned on a desert island. I particular liked the description of the galvanised iron hut. Great detail and word pictures. I was instantly transported there. I also loved the opening para, also great detail and I could feel the relief of being carried away from the jagged rocks.

I got a bit confused with the para when he reflecting on the argument with his dad. I found it a bit cumbersome and hard to read - the sentences are awkward and the script too mundane compared with the other beautiful paras. I think you tried to put too much plot in such a short space. Just a suggestion on "It was a deep sleep of someone profoundly satisfied with a life shaping decision" - I think this tells rather than shows. I think the next two paras show it without you having to spell it out.

I wish you were here every week, I love your writing. Well done.
Sue

Scriveners said...

Kerry says:

Your story covers a tumultuous journey both emotionally and physically. You have written vividly about the physical storm and allude to the equally powerful emotional 'storm' your character has survived in his relationship with his father. He appears to have found a safe haven from both.

Like Sue, I loved your description of the hut. Reminded me of the abandoned Blyth Homestead in Litchfield National Park and made me wonder about its story. Why was it on the island in the first place?

I wonder in the fourth paragraph whether the first and second parts should be interchanged and the paragraph split into two pieces. For me, your character's reflections about his father interrupt his discovery of the hut and the following paragraph which describes the hut.

You have created a profoundly satisfied hermit. I hope it works out for him!

Scriveners said...

Jenny says:

Really great description of the location, Gordon.

You could have started the story with the main character sitting on the beach and experiencing the euphoria of being alive - while the boat sinking is dramatic, it is actually a bit of a distraction from the main plot arc.

I really liked the way the character slid from running away from a broken love affair into being satisfied and content alone - I would have liked to hear more of the steps in that journey.

Scriveners said...

Heather says:

"A hermit created" -- somehow he got here, unlike our other hermits not by his own choice -- and he instantly makes it his own. I like the character.

In the context of TIME - the back story about the argument with his father doesn't quite work. If (a)you'd linked it more logically to his state of mind (what made him think about it at that exact moment?) and (b) it were more vague (perhaps just an allusion to the complicatedness of his old life), it would have been more satisfying.

I love the vivid descriptions - the raging sea, the wind-swept beach, the galvanised iron shed.

I'm left with 2 distracting questions - is he kidding himself or is this his destiny? And - where on earth is he, and will he be found if he changes his mind? (That probably pleases you!)