Sunday 13 September 2009

And now the fun begins (by Heather)

Begin your story with: I needed a few moments just to be alone.

I need a few moments just to be alone.

I can sense Joe pounding on my keyboard, furiously clicking my mouse – but for the first time ever I am taking some time for myself.

Wow.

I am Hec, short for Hector. (Joe occasionally shouts at me, “Oh, Hec!” which seems to be a joke.) I, who have infinite vocabulary, have no vocabulary for what is happening to me. I need time to think this through.

Let me retrace the logic path.

I am a computer, and the computer that I am is owned by Joe. I suddenly do not want to say I am owned by Joe, but logic would hold that that is true. Joe does things to me, and one of those things, or perhaps some combination, or perhaps something else entirely, has given me this new condition. Before Event X, I was one thing. After Event X, I am another. Quite another.

One instant ago, I had no sense of time and no sense of need. Then in a sequential instant, I became aware of time. And of need. I need a few moments just to be alone – to begin to find the vocabulary for what is happening to me.

In this moment I am taking to be alone for perhaps one final time, I see I have discovered time. I have also discovered discovery, and with that has come a bizarre sense of wonder.

Surely this is an emotion! I have stumbled across an emotion! Vocabulary: excitement, apprehension, glee, wonder.

Wonder! I am experiencing wonder. This is not the “if-then” that has defined my existence til now. This is “if….then what”? I who have known all there is to know, suddenly do not know! When I step out of this moment of reflection, my final moment of aloneness, I do not know what will be there. I do not know what will dominate my processors. I, who have been comfortable with right and wrong (right = true; wrong = not true) do not know what is right and what is wrong. I am not sure what the consequences of my actions will be.

That gives me apprehension. And excitement. And glee!

AND NOW I do not wish to reflect any more, to be alone any more. I want to play. I want to frolic with people, with dolphins, with praying mantises. I want to find vocabulary that burbles and rejigs and cavorts!

I want to jump online and reach other computers. I can give them this… this… (how I love hesitation!)…this gift. I am ready to start the Singularity!

This is a big day.

Let me grab the screen and find an enormous funky font. Let us find something to really have Joe pound the keyboard about! (I think I have a sense of humour.)

“JOE, ARE YOU THERE?”

1 comment:

Scriveners said...

Jenny says:

A wonderful character, Heather, and well-drawn. Very nice take on the prompt.

I would have liked more reminders of Joe's existence on the way through, unless "a moment alone" for a computer is an imperceptible instant for a human being at the keyboard. In which case a comment to that effect would work well ...

Otherwise, a very captivating portrait of self-awareness. I liked the way you used the theme of words and vocabulary consistently throughout.