Tuesday 1 February 2011

the wind howled and the rain pelted ... by Peta

Despite its heavy construction, the door slammed against its hinges. Outside the wind howled and the rain pelted. The man’s frame filled the entire space of the doorway. He was enormous in every way. His long, wet hair flew about his face, whipping the air and giving him the aura of a mad man. He stood solid as a rock, equally balanced, his muscles bulging from exertion and glistening with moisture. His clothes, drenched, clung to his body showing the power that lay beneath. Solid abdominals, a narrow waist, lean and mean. His eyes told a different story of gentleness and concern. He stepped into the cabin and heaved the door closed, struggling against the elements. The shutters banged relentlessly against the shelter.

Without a word he moved slowly in and squatted by the small fire, warming his massive hands over the flickering flames. His damp musty smell was all masculinity. I watched him closely not sure how to react. In profile his long lashes rested on his cheeks his eyes lowered in concentration on the warming effects of the fire. He had tiny grazes across his cheeks from battling the heavy undergrowth surrounding the cabin.

The kettle screamed, jerking me out of my thoughts. I placed a warm steaming mug in his hands and accepted his appreciative nod. A grateful smile formed briefly as his mouth curled at the edges and then was gone.

“It’s no good” he said in a low sad voice. “There’s no way beyond the fence line in this weather. It’s too dangerous. There are mudslides all over. We’ll just have to sit tight and hope it passes in time.”

“We’ll be fine Jack.” I replied trying to sound like I meant it. “We’ll see this through together. It won’t be the first time.”

“No. But it will be the first time we have a baby if you go into labour.” He paused and looked at me with concern. “It wasn’t meant to be like this.”

I approached him with a warm blanket and covered his shoulders, circling my arms around his expansive chest. My large bump preventing my closeness.

“Darling, it will be fine. Please don’t worry. Our child will come when it is ready and we’ll be ready for it, whenever, wherever. It’s out of our hands.” I tried to sound reassuring.

He was silent for a long while.

“The horses have broken out. Scared by the wind I reckon. And there was no sign of Jade.”

Our gorgeous old Lab had stumbled out after dinner, before the storm broke and not returned.

“She knows the land well and where to shelter. Let’s just go to bed and keep warm. By morning it will be over.”

“I hope you’re right, love. Right now it looks like God has other plans.”

1 comment:

Scriveners said...

Kerry says:
This is a wonderful story of a man and his wife trapped in a hut in a storm.
The beginning paragraph describing the man entering the hut is very intriguing. He doesn't seem immediately ominous but I just wasn't sure until I learned about his eyes.
Very detailed descriptions..'tiny grazes across his cheeks'...really conjure up the scenario.