Monday 5 July 2010

Guido's Pizzeria by Peta

“Psst. Don’t turn around. Move against the wall of the booth and turn side on.” The voice was deep and husky. Unfamiliar. I did as I was told.

“Are you sure no one followed you?” the voice said.

“What? No I am not sure. Who the hell would be following me? What is going on for God’s sake?”

Through the lattice divider I could see a person I didn’t recognise in the adjacent booth. Red curly hair, framing a pale face with thick dark oversized glasses. A heavy woollen scarf was wrapped around the neck obscuring the man’s jawline.

“Jamie its me, Tyrone.”

“What the??? I thought it was some kind of sick joke when I got the postcard. I only came out of curiosity. Didn’t expect any one to show.” I paused, took a deep breath and tried to compose myself. “I think you owe me an explanation.”

“Stay cool and listen. I need your help.” Ty looked around. Except for a waitress shining glassware, we were alone in the pizzeria. The lunch rush would start soon enough. Ty moved quickly into my booth and shuffled close to me. Now I could seek his trade mark aqua eyes. It really was him. We huddle together conspiratorially.

“Remember the Roller that burnt out in Cavill Ave?” He asked. I nodded. “I did it. I was walking home when I saw the Roller. This guy was doing something in the boot when he got spooked by a passing cop car. He slammed the lid and raced off. As I got closer, I could see the boot lid hadn’t closed. For some bizarre reason I went over to close it, don’t know why but it wouldn’t shut. I opened it up to see if something was blocking the latch. Seemed a good idea at the time. If only I had just pissed off then and there but I didn’t. Inside was a bag of money. I looked inside. It was a lot of money. A shitload. I grabbed the bag and ran home.”

“Tyrone. What were you thinking?”

“I wasn’t thinking. I was drunk. I just saw the money there for the taking and that’s what I did. Took it.”

Ty’s breathing was heavy as he continued.

“Some one followed me home. Then it started. Notes in the letterbox. Threatening me and ma. They wanted the money.”

“Who?”

“I don’t know.” Ty was verging on hysteria, his shoulders collapsed forward over the table.

“So you gave it to them right?”

“No Jamie, I didn’t. It was a lot of money. I needed to think.”

“So you faked your death? Put your mum through hell?”

“Not exactly Jamie. I told Ma everything. She said we should keep it and get away. I was going to find somewhere safe up the coast and send for her.” I shook my head in disbelief.

“That’s where you come in Jamie.”

“What? You are kidding me? No way man. I can’t get involved in this.” I said.

“Jamie, I’ll make it worth your while.”

“No man I’m sorry.”

“$1 million bucks. Cash.”

I looked at Tyrone incredulously. “I million dollars? Are you insane?”

“I told you Jamie, it was a lot of money.”

3 comments:

Scriveners said...

Eve says,
I loved the simplicity with which your story unfolded, Peta. Short, punchy sentences suited the genre and the characters.
Very believable and human. Everyone has a price, as they say.
Well done!

Unknown said...

Hi Peta. Loved this story - you capture how a normal, simple, every-day sort of person can so easily get caught in a lifestyle quite outside their imagining. We marvel that it could happen to Ty and now we see it's about to happen to Jamie too.
Especially loved the description of Ty's disguise. What a laugh!
As always with your stories, now I'm wanting Chapter 2.

Scriveners said...

This is a snappy piece with strong short sentences. I am left with a puzzle as to how you fake a funeral but that is just me thinking aloud after having written my version of this story. A good read.

Gordon