Wednesday 1 December 2010

Erica Jong is wrong... by Peta

“If you don’t risk anything, you risk more.”

God knows what she was thinking when she came out with this pearl of wisdom. And what the hell was I thinking when I followed this advice??? Erica Jong has a lot to answer for. Shame she didn’t think to follow on with advice that could be useful to us poor idiots who went down this path and now find themself, in a dark dank basement, with their hands tied tightly behind their backs, and their bladder about to pop it is so full with no relief in sight. And that’s just a few of my current problems. Add to that the splitting headache I have as a result of being thwacked over the head with a piece of four by two, the blood trickling down the side of my head from the wound and the bloody annoying itch in my groin that I cannot scratch. I think this officially falls into the category of “a bad day at the office”!

This PI lark used to be fun once upon a time but things have changed. The punters definitely have more street smarts these days and they are onto you like a shot if you slip up. And you can’t trust a bloody snitch any more – well, could you ever really? Probably not but at least you knew pretty well how to play ‘em. Jimmy Little used to be reliable. But now his old lady is in the slammer for B&E, his taste for the good life leads him astray. At least that’s what I figure got me here. He played both sides and gave me up for a few bucks. When we met over a beer just a day or so ago, he told me unequivocally that the job was going down tonight. So I stake out this crappy joint all night waiting for some action. My client has paid me pretty well (and in advance if the truth be known) to get some hard evidence, photos even, of the blokes involved in the heist. He doesn’t like being taken for a ride, no sirree. Word on the street was that this mob were going to do over his store and take the lot, everything. Unisured as he is, Mr Taylor was not happy with that prospect.

Enter good old Phil, PI extraordinaire. “No problem Mr Taylor, I can take care of that for you like a charm.” Ha! After a mind numbing couple of hours squatting in the bushes, they jump me. Who, I don’t know. One minute I am planning my next great seduction of Julie Filmore to pass the time and the next thing I’m here bound up like a Christmas turkey waiting to go in the oven, no escape route in sight. A fine predicament.

2 comments:

Rick said...

Wow. This is a great little story Peta and I'm so expecting more. I was completely caught up in it from the opening line. Not much I could add that's constructive. Maybe leave out the two by four. That's a bit too specific for someone who got jumped and can't remember any of it. Nice cheeky PI style of prose. But you must deliver more. I have to find out what happens next to Phil and how he figures out what happened.

Scriveners said...

I'm with Rick. I'm left in suspenders. Tell me more about Phil who has got himself in this predicament with his hands tied behind his back. Great start to a longer tale.

Kerry