Monday 5 April 2010

Schadenfreude (by Heather)

Use the idea of schadenfreude in your story this week.

I am about to come out of the closet.

Schadenfreude (meaning to take pleasure in another person’s troubles, for those of you who haven’t an unkind bone in your body) is not just a remote German concept to me – it’s a way of being. I can’t imagine a more horrible or socially unacceptable thing, but there you are. I’m a schadenfreuder.

I can’t help it. I’m German. Well, at least I’m one quarter German. My father was one half German and he was about twice as naughty as I am. My grandmother was ALL German and she was total mischief.

You’ve probably heard me speak reverently about my father, who I idolised (and still do). However, you may NOT have heard the story about one Easter when he was fourteen and his sister six. On the evening before Easter Sunday he put out a trap and told his little sister to her horror that he was going to catch the Easter bunny. After bedtime, he took out his rifle and bagged a rabbit. He then carefully placed it in a trap for his worried little sister to find on Easter morning. There was apparently quite a furore about that incident. Not everyone in the family took such pleasure as he did in my aunt’s wails of distress and loss of innocence.

I myself was brought into the Schadenfreude fold early. I remember being very small, and having my Grandmother teach me how to make the sign of the cross on my chest at mealtime. She would have been quite aware that my mother was violently anti-Catholic and that it would create some distress all around when I demonstrated my new-found skill at the dinner table. There’d have been a gleam in her eye as she sent me home that day.

But my grandmother may have realised she’d met her match when a few months later (I was 3 at the time) I literally pulled the chair out from under her. She was partly crippled and zipped about the house on a wooden kitchen chair that had had wheels drilled into its legs. She was not a little woman. I have a clear image of standing there behind her, looking up through the spokes of the back of her chair, and thinking that if I rolled the chair away, she’d go to sit down and, as there’d be no chair there, she’d fall in a great funny crash. That’s pretty much how it happened, and I remember scooting under the kitchen table to wait, thumb in mouth, for the furore to die down.

Shadenfreude continued to play itself out in my life on a pretty much daily basis after that. Over the years, I have taken it to an art form. I well remember a time when my six year old son was rocketing about his grandmother’s gardens, putting his new runners to the test. While I watched, he spun on his heel and shot across the lawn, obviously intending to leap over the little hedge. What he had forgotten is that a fairly steep cliff riddled with blackberries lay on the other side. He soared through the air and, as he suddenly saw the perils below him, did a kind of Wiley Coyote thing where he tried to stop in mid-air. As I watched him, powerless to do anything, I felt something snap inside. Before I knew it I was shrieking with laughter and rolling about so hard I couldn’t be part of the delegation that went down to rescue him.

I have to admit, I still can’t help grinning at the thought of it.

I had a similar experience a few years later when my husband Rick was playing volleyball in a friend’s big back yard. Someone lobbed the ball far out of play, and Rick went running after it. Backwards. And downhill. He was reversing straight toward a low lying shrub. When he connected with it, he did a perfect backward somersault right over it. That thing in my chest constricted and then snapped again. I’m sure I waited until I saw he was alive and in one piece before going hysterical with laughter.

Well. Here I am, out of the closet and feeling a bit of relief about it. Eighty-two million Germans can’t be wrong (and that’s not even counting all the one-quarter Germans like myself) – there is joy to be had in practically anything – but in particular the misfortune of others.

5 comments:

Scriveners said...

Eve says:

A nice person outs herself as a not-so-nice person who, like her grandmother, is mischievous and shall we say even mean sometimes.

I think I detect some autobiography here, told with candour and humour. Even tho' you have busted yourself on the lovely Heather we all know and love, your revelatory writing keeps a light tone and pace.

You may have made an assumption that schadenfreude is a German invention, even a national characteristic. But we can't hold it against you because you are one :)

Perhaps you could say that most of the 6 million on the planet are schadenfreuders, not just the poor Teutons.

Constant Craving said...

I just happened upon your blog. I have no idea who you are, but you will rejoice in the fact that you have made me thoroughly depressed. I honestly never knew that terrible people like you and your family existed. I am struck dumb with horror that you could laugh at your own child in distress. You must know that you are a very, very sick person. You need help, and fast. And I thouhgt I had bad feelings against Germans before! (The Holocaust must make you hysterical with laughter.) I hate you. don't write to me; I'll just block you.

Peta said...

Well what made me laugh was the comment by Constant Craving! Is anyone taking responsibility for that????

Well Heather, funny story - is it auto biographical?? I must know. At first I got a bit confused by the reference to "aunt" but of course it was the sister.

Like Constant Craving I was a little taken aback at your hilarity over your son's accident. But I loved the visualisation of Wiley Coyote - it gave me an instanteous picture of the happening.

Poor grannie. At first I thought "you" had crippled her but then it became clear.

I think some re-reading and editing could improve some minor hiccups with the text. But the story had an excellent pace and lots of laughs. great work

Peta said...

PS minor matter but our focus was dialogue!

Scriveners said...

Kerry says:
The writer outs herself as someone who revels in the delights of schadenfreude and tells some of the incidents of her life.

I enjoyed the conversational style of this piece, Heather. A good old telling of a story. I can't quite make up my mind if the incidents really happened and perhaps it doesn't matter but I like to think it's a true story.

Maybe schedenfreuders are more prevalent than we like to think.